Monday, September 8, 2008

Views on classroom technology use

I feel technology is something that must be used in order to help every student understand the assignment. Think about it there is not just one type of student out there; there are visual learners, audio learners, kinesthetic learners, etc. So you cannot just stand in front of a class and talk and talk and talk. You need to incorporate different learning objects, not all technology but you need to have some in there. Why? Because look at how many kids out there use technology these days and think about it did you like learning things the same way everyday? Probably not because in my opinion that is really boring. Another reason it should be used in the classrooms is because most places have it at their finger tips why not use it?
Well back in the day we used technology to learn things just like we need to do today. When I was in elementary school we used “Distant Learning.” Distant Learning enables you to talk to people in another school anywhere in the world. After connecting the machine you see them and hear them as if they were right in front of you, it is like a web cam.
My fifth grade year we used this technology to talk to students in Texas. I was attending a summer enrichment class where we were learning about space and all the planets. After learning about space, the planets, and their surroundings we did a distant learning lesson. It was actually pretty cool because they were in the NASA building where astronauts came and talked to us as well. We showed the students and the astronauts the projects we did and some of us even did presentations. The children in NASA showed us different things they used to help them learn about space also.

It helped me understand what I was learning as I am a visual and audio learner. I have a hard time of learning things from someone who just lectures the information to me or by just reading a book. I thought it was a pretty nifty thing as I never did it before and it was before I ever new about web cams. I also think this helped many learn new facts and actually made the information that may not be interesting to everyone actually interesting. The lesson helped the information really come to life.

No comments: