Monday, September 15, 2008

Red Group

When I look back at my technobiography, and think back to my career as a student I can only feel limited by what technology had to offer me. When taking classes that offered technology as a main component I always fell behind because I did not have the technology at home like other students did. It made me feel dumb. In school we often used videos, Powerpoint, or Publisher to supplement lessons once I made the transition to public school. Public school offered more to me when using computers. Teacher and librarians were always around to help when we had questions with software. Teachers, knowing not all students had access to these programs at home made all of the projects classwork assignments. You always had the option to take it home, but usually everything was finished in the school's computer lab.

Video was most likely the best material we were able to use. In 9th grade we got to watch video's on Shakespearean English and slang. We got to compare literature to visual interpretations. We had Beowulf narrated to us, and were able to watch Macbeth staged while following along in the text. We also got to create a video soap opera as our response to the Civil War in American history. Even in college, my professor was able to show us video clips of accurate stagings of Greek drama, masks and stage position all accurate to when the plays were first staged. Video clips were probably the most effective way of SUPPLEMENTING my education.

I all caps supplementing for a reason. Because that's all I think technology should be, a supplement and tool to make the teacher's point get across to a broad range of students.Power point lectures only bore students and allow them to tune out because all the information has been put down for them. 

Oh yeah. Read a book.

As an English teacher, its acceptable for me to say that. Maybe it's old fashioned with the rise of new media, or maybe I'm just strange. The smell of the pages of a book is such a strong experiance to me. I want my students to appreciate the roots of the literature that they have to read. Modern translations, visual interpretations, and audio readings can only help them. But it shouldn't take the place of the text. By looking at the text, it's easier to teach literary devices and to interpret them. You'll also get in in the proper context, not an edited for television version adapted by so and so on such and such's novel. It's not a bad thing to hold the canon sacred.

While I enjoy all the technology I have, I believe it is not always appropriate in the school setting. A student with no learning disabilites does not need to take notes on a laptop while a child with dyslexia would. Technology is situationally appropriate. Maybe there should be a technology class. It would teach students how to use the technology they have in the school setting. Like how to use Word to type papers, and Powerpoint for projects. There could be lessons on how to use the internet properly when researching. Classes on online safety. Students can explore graphic design and movie making. Instead of setting up the whole lesson reward system that i was faced with that only caused distractions. This class could help students use technology professionally. Maybe then, teachers will feel more comfortable using technology when they know students won't abuse it.

4 comments:

Cilicia Cesenaro said...

When I was in grade school, I also did not have the technology offered to me at home. And, like you mentioned it made me feel dumb. I agree about video clips being a good source of technology. Since the technology was not offered to me at home, I found the video clips to be very helpful. But, however I do think powerpoint presentations are a good source of technology if used appropriate. I agree that powerpoint presentations do bore the students but if a teacher presents the powerpoint in a good manner, I find the powerpoint to be very helpful.

Morgan said...

I really like the idea on a technology class. They have those computer classes, but I think they are pointless now because most kids know how to do all the stuff anyways. I think teaching kids how to use it appropriatly could go a long way!

Michael Doyle said...

I agree with you and I also agree with Cilicia. I do think that the value of a book and the original text as gone way down and that students are just looking for the easy or quick way out of things. I believe that there should be technology courses available for students to introduce them to different forms of technology and its uses, but I do not think that it should be in every classroom situation. I agree with the point Cilicia made about the powerpoints; if it is done right it is an amazing tool, but if it is used inappropriately it can be detrimental to the class.

Prof. Lohnes said...

That's a great phrase - "technology is situationally appropriate" - might have to ask you if I can borrow it. :) Perhaps once in your teaching position, you can be a leader who trains not only students but fellow teachers on professional and appropriate ways to integrate technology into teaching and learning...