Tuesday, September 23, 2008

blue group

Growing up I had nothing but good experiences with technology, both in and out of the classroom. Because of that, I think that is why I seem to lean more towards the use of technology in the classroom. I think technology is a great tool for learning in and out of school and teachers are just beginning to scratch the service of appropriate uses of technology in the classroom to help their students learn. Good uses of technology in the classroom is anything that enables the student to learn while using technology. Yes, there will always be students who manipulate the technology to create a distraction and that will be something to worry about. However, in my opinion there will be distractions with just about any kind of technology used in the classroom. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it because like I said before technology is a great learning tool.

There are similiarites between my techno bio post and my classroom tech post. In both posts programs used in the classroom such as powerpoint and word are mentioned because they helped me learn, especially powerpoint. I can't think of one history class I've taken in high school or college where powerpoint wasn't used. It helps the student stay up with the lecture and retain the information. Technology in the classroom is an important tool for teachers to learn how to use and hopefully the technology we see today in the classroom is just the beginning.

2 comments:

Greg S. said...

Technology can be burdening and, like you said, distraction-clad disasters for students. Using simple methods to get the entire class involved with the lesson using technology instead of working individually is a great tool. Remote controls and reaction based games viewed on a large screen perhaps.

Prof. Lohnes said...

I'm glad to hear that you've had good experiences, since many of your classmates have had negative ones. In addition to influencing your beliefs about technology, I'm curious to hear whether you think some of the experiences you've had with tech outside of the classroom might be useful to you in your teaching?