Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blue Blog Group

Through my experiences with technology, there are many uses that are suitable in the classroom and many other uses that aren't. The computer is a valuable source of technology in the classroom. Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel are useful tools on the computer in which students can use for writing a paper, having a presentation made, etc. The Internet is also useful as well for researching and communications; however, it can be a dangerous tool on the computer with spams and malicious viruses and websites. Overall, the computer is definitely appropriate and beneficial to be used by students working on their school studies, which is I felt when I wrote my technobiography and my thoughts of technology use in classrooms.

Also, I feel that the usage of clickers are effective in classrooms. All of the students in a classroom can get interactive and participatory in answering questions related to the lecture. For example, I have my own clicker in which I use for my physics class in answering questions. The program that is used for the clickers are for the professors to know if the students do understand. It is a great tool to in the class and I think more classrooms should have it, even in classes of middle school and high school.

I believe that having music by providing a radio or a television set for teachers is an option. It is essential for visual and auditory learners to grasp the teacher's lecture through watching a clip or even while working on classwork, students can concentrate better through listening to music. I wouldn't personally mind either listening to music or watching a movie. Technology in classrooms should be used the students' attention in order for them to succeed in the class. Hence, I believe students have an option to bring their MP3s or their IPods with some guidelines on when to use them.

There are other sources of technology which I consider inappropriate. There isn't any need to have cell phones, cameras, or anything that causes distractions in the classroom. Cell phones should be used only for an emergency, which should be the only purpose for a cell phone to be necessary in a classroom, not for lecture purposes. I feel that cameras are inappropriate as well; many students waste time taking pictures in the classroom, which I have experienced in the past. I believe it's a waste of time and they won't get anything out of using cameras. However, only when the proctor asks them they need it to post one online, then it's acceptable. Furthermore, technology used today has been benefiting students in their learning. More restrictions and other accessibilities can be made, but based on my own experiences, technology that I have used has helped me in my classes.

1 comment:

bridgett said...

I completely agree with you and share in your concerns. I am a firm believer in the use of computers and I also support the use of clickers. I was concerned with the use of cell phones as well and believe that is where we draw the line.
I rememeber in elementary school the teacher would play classical music to expand our thinking, and in high school we were able to listen to whatever we wanted.I guess that all we can do is keep up with time and embrace technology.