Thursday, September 25, 2008

Green Blog Group

I guess you could say that there is some similarity between my view on appropriate and inappropriate use of technology in the classroom based on my personal experience with technology. Due to the fact that technology and I are not on the best of terms it does in some way influence how I would potentially use technology in the classroom.

My personal technological experience is relatively mediocre so I feel that I would not use technology extensively in the classroom. This also has to do with the subject matter I plan on teaching, which is the social sciences. Even from my personal experience as a student there was not an extensive use of technology in my classrooms. This I think is not detrimental to the educational process.

In my case I feel that if I am not well versed in the using of technology then I should not use it in the classroom because if (and when) it malfunctions it will only detract from the lesson. Overall, technology for me will most likely be used in a basic sense in the classroom to make sure that my lessons are not being detracted from.

However, I will also work to stay up with technology as much as possible to ensure that the kids I teach will have some way to relate to me. When the need arises I will learn new technologies and also integrate them into the classroom where approriate. I feel that my philosophy on technology in the classroom greatly reflects my personal use of technology and how I feel it should be used in the classroom.

3 comments:

christina lanahan said...

I could not agree with you more! I have had many classroom lectures and student presentations that fell flat because the technology decided not to funtion that day. It was distracting, and for the students that were presenting, it threw them completely off. As teachers, we don't need that in our classrooms, not for us or our students. Technology is good, but should not take the place of actual teaching. Good points!

Kelsie said...

I agree with you especially becoming a new teacher or even say during an interview. If we have our lesson all on power point or word, what happens if it fails? what happens if it mailfunctions? we barely have time to teach what we have to teach letalone deal with computer haults...good points!!

Prof. Lohnes said...

You raise a lot of great points in this post. I would agree that not using technology isn't going to be detrimental or do lasting harm to students' learning - but at the same time, inappropriate uses of technology by previous teachers has definitely left a lasting impression on many of your classmates. There's a real issue there, and I understand the desire to be successful at teaching with technology.

At the same time, do you see benefits of technology - or perhaps certain technologies in certain situations - for which the relative advantage outweighs the negatives?