Monday, September 15, 2008

I do think that there are some similarities in my technobiography and how I view technology being used in the classroom. When I was in school we did not have much of the technology that kids have today. Until high school I never did research on the internet, created power point presentations, or even typed papers. I think because of that, I feel like, in a way, kids should still be expected to do things the way I did them. I also think my continuing run in with teachers who use technology will make me think twice before I use it in my own classroom.
But then again, I can see the benifits from using technology. I think it can allow for more creativity and better learning, but only if used in the right way. I think it's so cool how kids can take virtual field trips, or research thousands of journals in a split second. But I also think something is lost. I had to thumb through tons of books to do my research, now kids google and their done. There is I think a loss of discipline, I guess, in having to take out time to do book research.
And things like power point, they are so misused! Makes me wonder if I will ever use them in my classroom. I feel like teacher use and abuse things like power point so much their value is lost. They also seem to like to use it like some excuse, like "Yeah, I use technology." But sorry, when that's all you use, and you just read from it, that's not using technology.
I think there can be great gains by using technology in the classroom. I know I benifit from using technology in my everyday life, so there has to be some benifits to using it in the classroom. I think what we need to figure out in the secret formula of technology perfections. Just the right amount is great, but use too much, and I think we will do more harm than good.

1 comment:

Prof. Lohnes said...

It scares me to think that some teachers' inappropriate uses of technology has turned you off in some ways to using technology yourself! As a teaching professional, you *should* think twice or be thoughtful in your use of technology - and your students will benefit from an appropriate use of technology. For them, you can be the teacher who uses technology the "right" way.