Thursday, September 4, 2008

technobiography

In elementary school, the most exciting day of the month was when the class got to go down to the library and play games on the computer. This was my first experience with computers. We could either play games which included our vocabulary or games with furthered our math skills. My whole class was more interested learning on that day than any other.

High school was a different story. I took photography classes where we learned how to manipulate photos on the computer using PhotoShop. I don't remember anything, but i was taught it. Also, for our English classes, students were encouraged to bring personal laptops. My town was of the higher middle class so many people could afford this. Those who couldn't were provided laptops through the school that could be signed out for over night use. The laptops were used to write papers and e-mail them to our teachers. We submitted our research papers over the Internet on a site that would check for plagiarism. Typing papers took the place of writing them out. This saved time but it was a big change. In math classes, just the teacher had a computer. However, the calculator that you were required to have hooked into the TV. Our teacher would present his calculator screen to the class on the television so that all could follow along. That seemed to be very helpful because it was easy to get lost in Pre-Calc.

Even though I was shown how to use many different things on the computer, I never really grasped any of it. I can work e-mail, Facebook, and I know how to websurf. Other then that, I seem to be slower and get confused. Sad, I know.

Upon entering middle school I got my first cell phone. In the beginning I used it as nothing more then a phone. I would make and receive calls. I now am never apart from my cell phone. The one I own now has e-mail capabilities along with a music downlaoder. I am always texting and even using it over making a call. I guess that shows how technology does change in your life. My cell phone is attached to me.

No comments: