Thursday, September 4, 2008

Techno-biography

Unfortunately for me technology has always been a part of my life, and I say unfortunately for a very specific reason. Although I have always had access and been relatively adapt at using technology, technology seems to not approve of me using it.

As far back as I can remember I have been the most un-lucky person with technology. Without fail something will always go wrong. I know the saying that the machine is only as smart as the user, but I disagree because for the most part I know how to navigate through technology but for some reason roadblocks always get in my way.

When I was still in grade school my dad let me begin to use his mac from college. This poor machine was still in working condition and was the worst machine ever to teach me about technology. I was a proficient typer by the time my elementary school decided it would be beneficial for its students to take a typing course every year. I was even alright at playing one of the best computer games ever invented "Oregon Trail". But whenever it comes to anything more than just recreational fun on anything technological its as if the technology gods get a kick out of messing with me.

I can't tell you the number of times that my computer has mysteriously shut down,kicked me off, or refused to boot up when it came time for school. Included in that is losing of homework assignments that were saved on, off and in hard copy. And this this doesn't just apply to computers. Cellphones have been known to die randomly around me; DVD players mysteriously do not work (VCRs as well); and on more than one occassion my car has refused to have me as its driver.

Honestly though I love technology. It enhances our lives and makes it possible for us to communicate rapidly, and share our ideas on the web and in print in quantities our ancestors could not have imagined. My only wish is that technology would show me the same love as it shows the rest of the world. Honestly I'm not that bad.

No comments: