Monday, September 8, 2008

My Technobiography

I become facinated with Technology over the past 5 years. I knew that it was something that I wanted to be apart of for a very long time especially when i started to work with a special group of children. I work with kids who are blind and some are even disabled. One of my students asked me a very important question one day, she said "Ms Shanika is technology a need or a want" It was very hard for me to answer that question right away. It puzzled me and I had to really think hard. For some blind kids their technology is indeed basic a necessity. I know when we think of needs we think of water and other things that we need for basic survival. For the visually impaired technology is how they survive. If they don't have there braille writers or other assistive technologies they are unable to do basic things such as read and learn. To me that is a need for them not a want. I guess you can be the judge yourself.

All I know is that the visially impaired have a harder time doing basic things like grocery shopping or finding the right store that they need. I want to be apart of making software or equipment that allows them to be just as independent as a person with vision. Imagine going into a store and having to shop with the lights off with no way of knowing what is what. Well, this is how they have to shop. Nothing is brailled,nor is it auditory for them to hear. It should be a way that the world should be adapted so that independent student who are blind can walk into a grocery store and shop without having to solicit helt. Believe it or not some of them do not want the help. However, they have to ask for the help because there is no technology for them to shop independently. To develop a technology for the blind is my passion and I hope to see advanced technology for them in the near future.

No comments: