Thursday, September 4, 2008

Technobiography

I first began using technology in the classroom at the age of eight while learning the basics in mathematics and grammar on the neon-green screen of a computer. Away from school, I never grew attached to computers or video games until I turned eleven. Since then, technology has faded in and out of my life. It has become instrumental in learning and socializing and functioning in the world. It also has become a nuisance and a burden that I avoid at any cost.

It amazes me how adept people have become with the many technology-driven devices being introduced within the short time we as humans have occupied Earth. With every new toy, game, phone or the like given to the public, the dedication and steadfastness people give to their investment and to learning and utilizing its capabilities proves to mimic the love given to a living, breathing organism.

I appreciate and support the ambition it takes to develop the ideas of a cell phone, video game or computer into a reality the world can choose to enjoy or loathe. I myself make evidence of this support by picking up my cell phone, checking my e-mail or nonchalantly browsing through my iPod. This appreciation and respect is wholesome, healthy and human, but rarely observed or conducted.

Technology is taken for granted but truly deserves to be. The rate in which we dispose and cultivate a new invention or modification is staggering. A desktop computer replaced by a laptop; a laptop replaced by a thinner, more portable device of the same capabilities. This compact version of a laptop is then usurped by an even smaller version and coupled with the internet/instant messenger/gps-including cell phone.

No comments: