Sunday, September 28, 2008

green group - appropriate/inappropriate tech in classroom

I think technology can have good and bad uses in the classroom. As far as technology being a positive aspect in the classroom I believe it must be able to be access at all students when necessary to use. While leaving room and time for the teacher to instruct the class. I like the use of developed power points that use different multimedia to explain and emphasize notes. I have had teachers use power points effectively while others do not and they will just stand their and read off their slides. That is why I feel using that technology a teacher should take time to take a step back to explain and discuss the information see if the students comprehend. I don’t know even maybe challenge them and see if their listening or if you lost them listening to your own voice.
I also feel most students rely heavily on grammar and spell check which do not perform a very thorough job. I know I personally lack grammar and language skills because it was never emphasize to me and more and more people rely on these programs. My younger brother can barely write but has no problems typing on a computer.
I feel it is great to have technology at your fingertips and be able to use it in the classrooms. But teachers need to make sure their students are really learning the information and not just looking at it or hearing it. The real question is do they comprehend the lesson when use present it while adopting the technologies you use to teach them?

3 comments:

shanika said...

I agree with you when you say that teachers should make sure that their students are actually learning from these power point slides. I have had teachers just talk talk and talk. They also say you can go on blackboard and get the slides before class. What is the point if the teacher is just going to read word for word? I know I get lost if it is not a hands on classroom. I feel that this integrating class is a perfect example of how I am able to learn best

christina lanahan said...

It is very true that many students are dependent on spell check and grammar check! Teachers do need to make sure students really know the basics. I agree that technology should be a teaching aid, not a substitute for teaching.

Prof. Lohnes said...

Good comments all. From your posts, PowerPoint definitely seems like the plague of many courses. I'm curious to hear how you all might use PowerPoint in an appropriate way? How would you build an activity around PowerPoint that a) makes it relevant for the students to actually be in class (!), and b) assesses whether or not the students learned anything from the lecture and slides?