Thursday, September 4, 2008

Technobiography

As a student who returned to college when my daughter started kindergarten, I feel much less technologically inclined than most of my peers. When I was 10 years old, my family purchased an Apple IIC, and it was my first experience ever with a computer. We could play games stored on floppy disks such as "The Wizard of Oz". When I was in the 7th grade, my small Catholic school created its first computer lab out of Apple IICs (which are still there). In computer class, we learned how to copy pages and pages worth of code to create a graphic on the screen that sometimes even contained words.
In the neighboring tiny Catholic high school, we used computers only in the library, to conduct research for term papers. When I was in the 12th grade, my family subscribed to AOL's dial up internet service. It took a long time to get online, after finding a connection that did not have a busy signal, only to get knocked off as soon as a call came in.
After I graduated high school, I began working full time for a doctor, where I used alot of technology. Since I was the youngest employee, I was appointed to learn how to use all of the new technology that many of my coworkers were too frustrated to even try. The medical supply company representatives trained me to use the new devices. I took electrocardiograms of patients' hearts with electrodes and hooked up holter moniters to record patients' heartbeats and rthyms for 24 hours and then print out the reports. I used spirometers to record lung capacity and oxygen levels.
My job then evolved to perform medical billing, which changed drastically during the 5 years that I did it. It went from mailing form after form to different companies and driving to the bank to deposit checks to transmitting all info and receiving all payments electronically. Now the doctor I used to work for has begun the daunting task of converting all medical records into digital files.
My children (11 & 7) are very comfortable with technology. My son has been playing computer games since he was three years old and had done everything from learn Spanish words to memorize Geography by the time he started kindergarten thanks to educational computer games. I moved him from the small Catholic elementary school I attended to public school when he began 5th grade. He is now in 7th grade at a technology magnet school for "21st century digital learners". He uses computers in every class, from smartboards and tablets in Algebra I to digital dissections in Science. His favorite class this year is "Robotics and Engineering". At home he creates music on "Audacity" where he can record himself playing the keyboard, record over that track playing the guitar, add digital drums, then let his sister lay down the vocals.
My 7 year old daughter likes to edit photos and create art on the computer. Her math textbooks have been online since 1st grade, so she can complete worksheets at home without carrying the book. She downloads MP3 karaoke files to sing slong with and takes care of her virtual pets on WebKinz World.

No comments: