Thursday, September 4, 2008

techno-biography

Growing up in a little town that had more cows than people, technology took a while to play a factor in my life. In my house all we really had was a TV(without cable), a VCR and a phone. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time outside away from technology until one Christmas when the miracle of Nintendo graced my home. I still spent a lot of time outside, but the way I viewed technology started changing drastically.
When I got to second grade we started learning how to use computers. We had a typing class two days a week and later started playing games like "Spellevator" and "Math Blaster." Other than the basic typing function and helping me learn how to properly use fractions, computers still seemed more like something to do when you were bored than to actually have real life applications.
During middle school I was given the chance to use the Internet to search for topics relating to work that I had to do for classes. I also started using computers to predict what career path we might want to follow. No matter how inaccurate the surveys taken in those days might have been, it was still fun getting out of class to mess around on a computer. Obviously, the careers that we were predicted to have were a little off. I probably will not work in sports medicine or have a career in the snowboard industry, but learning that computers could be used for something other than typing and games helped me broaden my horizon on computers.
My family later gained Internet access and for the rest of middle school and through high school, computers became something that were practical and almost a necessary part of my everyday life. Between doing research for school, chatting with friends and downloading music, the Internet has helped me get connected with more people and get reconnected with some old friends.
From those humble beginnings in elementary school, I started to love computers and I have been using them ever since. The more advanced computers started to become, the more I messed around with them and learned about them. From the days of the big floppy disk to the modern flash drive, I have used computers for everything from writing a paper for school to making a slide show of my grandmothers life for her ninety-second birthday. Computers continue to play a huge roll in my life and will undoubtedly play a huge role in my career as a teacher,

No comments: