Monday, September 8, 2008

technology in the classroom

I honestly think the only forms of computer technology that I've come across in the classroom are Powerpoint, and most recently Webct. Most of my teachers have used Powerpoint as a lecture tool.
My most recent classes have been American Sign Language classes at CCBC. CCBC has had all of their teachers taking computer education courses in order to create more use of technology in the classroom. I find this somewhat amusing for my ASL classes, though. I have had teachers use Powerpoint to cover points they were teaching, and also for exams. But honestly, that sort of technology is wasted in those types of classes. ASL classes are not lecture-type classes, they are (pardon the pun) hands-on learning classes. The only way to learn is to do. Having technology doesn't actually affect the learning by the students in those classes. As a matter of fact, I feel it may actually be more of a deterrent. ASL is, quite obviously, a very visual type of learning. Having something like Powerpoint actually takes away from the teacher by giving the students something else to focus on. In my opinion it seemed kind of wasteful to make these teachers learn about technology that really didn't apply to their curriculum. Was it really necessary?
Webct, on the other hand, is a fabulous application, but for those classes it wasn't used in the classroom setting. It was a way for students to check their grades and check on assignments that were due. Very helpful, yes, but not really used actually within the classroom.
So while technology is very helpful in many classroom settings, I can see that in some settings it's more troublesome than helpful.

No comments: