Thursday, September 4, 2008

Technobiography

Growing up my introduction to technology was very gradual. When I was young I experienced the vhs versions of all the childhood fantasies on our one television. It was around my middle school years that I was able to experience a computer in my own home; other than my brief encounters in the school computer lab I had yet to be a user of such a device. I created a screen name and I became a frequent user of my family's computer. At this same time my younger brother recieved our first video game system for his birthday and he coveted his Playstation; therefore, I was not allowed to use it. But, over time I began to find ways to play alongside him. Technology seemed to appear all at once at this time, because soon after our televison recieved a cable hook up and then my parents purchased cell phones. I knew then that I could not wait until I had my own as well.

It was not until I was 16 years old that I recieved my own cell phone, my parents had made a family rule that that was the age when we were responsible enough to recieve such a device. During my teen years i enjoyed the technology of aim, email, cds, my car, and the radio. I had yet to aquire my own television, ipod, or computer. The computer that my family has still uses dial up because of the location of my home being so far out in the woods.

Once I graduated from high school it seemed as if technology flooded my life. I recieved my first ipod, my own pc, and i eventually bought my own flat screen television. With this technology came independence and responsibility that had befallen me with my entrance into the university lifestyle. To me highspeed internet is a luxury and it pains me to go home to the dial up of the family computer. I would not say that I am a technology genius, but I am a frequent user and I appreciate each piece of technology that I own and come into contact with.

1 comment:

Darla said...

Hi Lee,
I agree that technology seemed to explode all at once. I also hated using dial up and didn't get DSL until 3 years ago when I moved to Tucson. This was because of taking online classes and I needed the higher speed.
Now that I'm back in Baltimore, high-speed isn't that much more expensive to use considering the waste of time waiting for dial-up or getting bumped off. I get it from verizon where I have my land line. They now offer bundle packages, which makes the cost less.
Darla