Sunday, September 14, 2008

Red Group: Influences on Good/Bad Uses of Technology

After reviewing my post about technology in the classroom, I think there are many positive, or appropriate, uses of technology in the classroom. However, there are some bad, or inappropriate, uses of technology in the classroom as well. Technology is useful in the classroom because it provides additional sources of learning for students. Technology, such as laptops, the internet, powerpoint presentations, blackboard, etc, helps to enhance students' learning environment by making useful resources more readily available to aid and enrich the learning process. For example, as mentioned  in my previous post, blackboard helped me become more organized and prepared for class, in addition to providing supplemental information to make the subject matter more clear and to provoke more thought and discussion about various topics. Another example of an appropriate use of technology is the use of powerpoint presentations by students and professors. Powerpoint presentations are useful because they help visual learners by giving the professors the option to teach students with videos and/or pictures. Students can also give presentations in a more organized way. 

Despite the appropriate uses of technology, there are also some inappropriate uses of technology. Technology gives students the option of conducting research via the internet, and, although this contributes to the learning process, it opens the door to plagiarism by allowing students to copy the work of someone else's without truly learning the information. Laptops can also be very useful in the classroom, but it is often easy for students to misuse their laptops during class time. For example, instead of taking notes on his/her laptop, a student may choose to surf the web or chat with friends using instant messenger or Facebook. Lastly, spell check can cause students to overlook grammatical errors and lead to less proof reading and more reliance on the actual word processor. 

My reaction to the technology integration scenario was mainly influenced by professors and the classroom. It was influenced by professors because in college I was introduced to blackboard and powerpoint and was given the option of taking my laptop to class. From classroom experiences, I learned that blackboard and powerpoint were positive uses of technology. On the other hand, I learned that laptops could sometimes be distracting during class and hinder the learning process. Also, from personal experiences I have learned that plagiarizing can be easy to do and it is often easy to rely on spell check too much.  

3 comments:

Christina J. said...

I definitely agree with the comment you make about the use of spellcheck when using word processor. I do not know how many people I have come across over the years as a student that just assume that all of their grammatical errors will be fixed by spellcheck. I think that it is of the highest importance that students learn how to be gramatically correct in their writing, but I think that too many students become reliant upon resources such as spellcheck to do their work. I most certainly do not have a problem with anybody using spellcheck as I use it myself, but we, as teachers, need to edcuate students that spellcheck is never going to detect every single grammatical error.

ngill1 said...

I thought your blog on the good and bad uses of technology was really good and I especially agree with the part about the inappropriate usage of technology. I liked the example you gave about how kids might get on facebook or IM on their laptop instead of taking notes in their class. That's something I found myself doing all the time when I would bring a laptop with me to class.

Prof. Lohnes said...

It seems as though teachers - perhaps not surprisingly - were very influential in the way you think about technology. And you're not alone, several of your group members said the same thing. I would say that although you might not have had the best models yourself, you and your classmates have a great opportunity to model appropriate technology integration in your own classrooms, in ways that might give your students positive models for technology use.